The Area of Kionia
Kionia is situated in the south region of Tinos, at a distance of only 2.5 km from the town centre. The beach of Kionia, which extends over approximately 1.5 km, has beautiful, crystal-clear waters and it is sandy with some shingles. It is considered one of the largest beaches on the island. Along the beach, there are a series of “almirikia” trees (trees that grow along beaches on the sand), and plenty of shade, while the two corners of the beach are more organized, with beach bars, sunbeds, umbrellas and water sports.
Taverns, "mezedopolia” (restaurants that specialize in small dishes), and cafes meet the demands of all visitors and make one’s holidays more enjoyable.During the summer months, there are frequent bus services to and from the Hora (approximately every 30 minutes), while taxis or radio taxis also assist transport (approximately 4-5 Euros for the trip).
The History of the Area
Kionia is of major archaeological interest. It is noted that this particular area entails the ancient capital of Tinos, while its name is derived from the columns (“kiones”) extending over the distance between today’s town and the end of the shoreline. One of the greatest religious areas of the era was built here, the Temple of Poseidon and Amphitrite – a deity couple, the God of the Sea and the Goddess of Medicine and Doctors – who were particularly worshipped on the island. The Poseidonia Ceremonies were performed at the Temple, which was surrounded by an “alsos” (a field with tall trees and bushes), and attracted masses of people from various regions in Ancient Greece.
Excavations and Findings
Excavations in Kionia began at the beginning of the 20th century by two Belgian archaeologists, H. Demoulin (1902) and P. Graindor (1905). The findings that came to light were in brief: the temple, a whole group of various constructions, such as the propylon, the altar, the aqueduct, the baths, as well as various artifacts. Some of the artifacts discovered are the famous fountain of Poseidon (a 4th century B.C. artifact), the sun dial made by the astronomer Andronicus, inscriptions, treasures and other findings, most of which are currently on display at the Archaeological Museum in the town of Tinos.
The exact date of the Temple’s construction has not to this day been ascertained. However, the relevant findings are not attributed to eras before the 5th century B.C.